Start a Chapter
To start a LOA & AOA chapter, you need to:
- Review chapter expectations (LOA G6)
- Have at least 6 National LOA or AOA members
- Draft chapter by-laws
- Hold elections to fill key leadership positions
Submit the chapter by-laws to: firstname.lastname@example.org
P.O. Box 2264
Arlington VA 22202
- Local chapters are encouraged to use this briefing at their meetings to communicate LOA & AOA membership benefits.
- About LOA/AOA Trifold
- About LOA/AOA Briefing
Chapter President Tools
- Chapter By-laws Template
- Chapter President Planning Guide (New)
- Tools and tips from experienced Chapter Presidents to help make your Chapter more effective!
- Chapter President Planning Guide Monthly Template
Tax Exempt Status
- Chapter needs to get their own Employee Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS. You can do this online at www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-Number-(EIN)-Online Use the LOA National EIN as the Responsible Entity [contact the LOA Ambassadors at email@example.com for this info]
- Chapter needs to draft a Constitution or Bylaws, must include specific language as specified by the IRS at www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=123028,00.html
- If Chapter has less than $25,000 of annual income, then submit a Form 990-N (e-Postcard) by 15 April each year verifying income and other information. Link for 990-N: www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=169250,00.html
- Also, most credit unions require the EIN and a copy of the constitution to set up interest-free accounts.
- View LOA’s Eligibility to Receive Tax-Deductible Charitable Contributions
For additional information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org